Why do we make New Year’s Resolutions? I’ll tell you why….because we are freaking exhausted mentally, physically and spiritually at the end of the year! Our bodies feel like crap because we have been binge eating and drinking since Thanksgiving. We can’t find the time for exercise and sleep seems to elude us. A morning meditation to get the day started in a balanced way sounds great but… YEAH RIGHT! it’s more like rushing out the door with a large coffee/tea in hand hoping to make it to that damn appointment on time without incident! It’s the end of the year. The holidays have us burning the candle at both ends. The demands from everyone else leave no time to ourselves, so… nature (keyword) kicks in and tells us that we need to reset our systems.
We have looked at the 14 most common resolutions and we are giving you ONE easy, fool proof way to achieve each of these resolutions for the entirety of 2019!!
Ready for it…? Drum roll please, this is BIG!
Get outside and be one with nature
1. Reduce stress: When you take yourself from the environment that makes you feel stress such as work, home or a concrete jungle and move your body into a place of nature, the stresses are no longer physically in your face. Nature’s rhythm slows everything down, including our thoughts. Negative thoughts and worry are no match for chirping birds or a field of flowers. The level of stress determines how deep you should go and how long you stay in nature but 20 minutes alone in a green area will do wonders for all levels stress.
2. Drink less alcohol: when you find yourself wanting a cocktail at 10:00 a.m. it’s probably time to take a hike!
3. Eat Better: Find your green thumb and start a garden! Gardening is a meditative activity, plus you receive healthy whole foods as a result. Healthy mind, healthy food… WIN WIN!
4. Quit smoking: Do you have unhealthy habits that you want to leave behind? This is no joke and it’s not going to be easy. But we believe YOU CAN DO IT! The most important tool to utilize during this type of transition, is your breathe. Find a place with a good source of oxygen like a park, a garden or a forest with a comfortable place to sit or lay. Take a 20 minute breather or stay until the urge passes.
5. Save Money: it doesn’t cost anything to spend your time in nature (except for maybe a parking fee). Share an afternoon picnic of food that you prepared with love at home and ask the other guests to bring the wine!
6. Exercise more: This is easy. Walking, running, hiking, biking, yoga, circuit training, TRX, weight lifting or any exercise that you do inside the gym can be done outside in nature. All exercise is good for your body but when you combine nature’s elements into your exercise routine you will receive benefits beyond the physical. Our mental focus is on the trees we pass by and not a TV screen with one of the corporate news channels scaring the shit out of us with next breaking tragedy!
7. Sleep better: Try sleeping outside under the stars.... in a tent, in a hammock, on a trampoline, on a beach bed, in the back of your pick up truck or for you hard core peeps -on the ground (in a sleeping bag of course!). Just be conscious of natural elements such as animals and weather…. prepare accordingly.
8. Learn a useful skill or fun hobby in nature: we recommend bird watching. 🦅🐦 It is both a useful skill and a fun hobby! You can learn a lot about climate change, weather patterns, where to find food and water and where there may be danger from the birds. It’s also a super fun hobby with expensive toys like scopes and binoculars. How many did you get today? Lifer anyone?
9. Travel more and see the world: hey you rat, get out of that cage and off that wheel! Its so easy to travel these days. On your bike, in your car, on a bus, in an uber, on a boat, on an airplane or by foot for the adventurous types. There are a bazillion spectacular places of nature around the globe for all budgets. Start exploring…. the world is you oyster.
10. Read more: most of us would love to read more often (unless of course you are 15)… Find a place under a tree (not a palm with coconuts), a grassy hillside, a lake, your lush garden, if possible take your shoes off and put your feet directly on the earth and READ. Reading is a bit of a meditation because we stop thinking about our own problems when we are reading.
11. Find your creative side: native cultures from around the world have a strong connection with nature. All species of flora and fauna have a purpose(s). Including those that can take the human brain to next level of creativity through sacred ceremony using the sacred plant and animal medicines. Tap into your creative side through nature. Start slow, try a peyote or psilocybe (magic mushroom) ceremony.
12. Take care of your mental health: we live in a world of mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression, ADHD, OCD, PTSD, BPD… I’m not a doctor but I do believe that our disconnect from nature exasperates the symptoms of mental illnesses. From personal experience, when I feel a panic attack coming on I know it’s time to find a comfortable place in nature, sit still and breathe deeply until it passes.
13. Think more clearly: Set a designated time once a week to get your ass outside with nature. When you slow your mental rhythm to match nature’s rhythm, very soon you will start to notice the tiny details of nature that cross over into your day to day. The details matter most, they are the pieces that make the whole. When you can see the picture as a whole, you will be able to think with more clarity.
14. Have better sex more often: Sex in nature super hot! It’s the perfect way to spice things up. You choose the location based on your level of voyeurism, you naughty vixen you! Spontaneous is great but beware of the elements. ⛱
So there you have the 14 most common New Year’s Resolutions, all achievable throughout the year with the simple act of spending more time outdoors with nature.
We love you all!! Happy Holidays!! The best or 2019 coming your way. ❤
Aho Mitakuye Oyasin 🙏
Sara @ Green Maya Tulum
Ecotourism that combines nature, spirit, and culture to deliver the ultimate guided outdoor experience.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND SHARING IS CARING :)
Would you be so kind and forward this blog to friends and share on all your social media sites?