Every plant, animal, insect and microorganism on this planet matters. Nature is a perfectly balanced ecosystem when left on its own to function, until we add too much of the human touch, i.e. climate change, and the systems are thrown off balance. There are sure to be disruptions and forced adaptations throughout the natural world. When it comes to climate change flora and fauna need a voice. Will you join us?Read More
Most of us know about the environmental destruction and social injustices that we all face globally. With the money from certain corporations buying our elections and our politicians, we feel helpless and frustrated. What can we do about it personally? The only way- we the people and the planet stand a chance against these giants is to become a conscious consumer and use our power of purchase. Read on to learn how….Read More
Why do we make New Year’s Resolutions? I’ll tell you why….because we are freaking exhausted mentally, physically and spiritually at the end of the year! Our bodies feel like crap because we have been binge eating and drinking since Thanksgiving. We can’t find the time for exercise and sleep seems to elude us. A morning meditation to get the day started in a balanced way sounds great but… YEAH RIGHT! it’s more like rushing out the door with a large coffee/tea in hand hoping to make it to that damn appointment on time without incident! It’s the end of the year. The holidays have us burning the candle at both ends. The demands from everyone else leave no time to ourselves, so… nature (keyword) kicks in and tells us that we need to reset our systems.
We have looked at the 14 most common resolutions and we are giving you ONE easy, fool proof way to achieve each of these resolutions for the entirety of 2019!!
Ready for it…? Drum roll please, this is BIG!
Get outside and be one with nature
1. Reduce stress: When you take yourself from the environment that makes you feel stress such as work, home or a concrete jungle and move your body into a place of nature, the stresses are no longer physically in your face. Nature’s rhythm slows everything down, including our thoughts. Negative thoughts and worry are no match for chirping birds or a field of flowers. The level of stress determines how deep you should go and how long you stay in nature but 20 minutes alone in a green area will do wonders for all levels stress.
2. Drink less alcohol: when you find yourself wanting a cocktail at 10:00 a.m. it’s probably time to take a hike!
3. Eat Better: Find your green thumb and start a garden! Gardening is a meditative activity, plus you receive healthy whole foods as a result. Healthy mind, healthy food… WIN WIN!
4. Quit smoking: Do you have unhealthy habits that you want to leave behind? This is no joke and it’s not going to be easy. But we believe YOU CAN DO IT! The most important tool to utilize during this type of transition, is your breathe. Find a place with a good source of oxygen like a park, a garden or a forest with a comfortable place to sit or lay. Take a 20 minute breather or stay until the urge passes.
5. Save Money: it doesn’t cost anything to spend your time in nature (except for maybe a parking fee). Share an afternoon picnic of food that you prepared with love at home and ask the other guests to bring the wine!
6. Exercise more: This is easy. Walking, running, hiking, biking, yoga, circuit training, TRX, weight lifting or any exercise that you do inside the gym can be done outside in nature. All exercise is good for your body but when you combine nature’s elements into your exercise routine you will receive benefits beyond the physical. Our mental focus is on the trees we pass by and not a TV screen with one of the corporate news channels scaring the shit out of us with next breaking tragedy!
7. Sleep better: Try sleeping outside under the stars.... in a tent, in a hammock, on a trampoline, on a beach bed, in the back of your pick up truck or for you hard core peeps -on the ground (in a sleeping bag of course!). Just be conscious of natural elements such as animals and weather…. prepare accordingly.
8. Learn a useful skill or fun hobby in nature: we recommend bird watching. 🦅🐦 It is both a useful skill and a fun hobby! You can learn a lot about climate change, weather patterns, where to find food and water and where there may be danger from the birds. It’s also a super fun hobby with expensive toys like scopes and binoculars. How many did you get today? Lifer anyone?
9. Travel more and see the world: hey you rat, get out of that cage and off that wheel! Its so easy to travel these days. On your bike, in your car, on a bus, in an uber, on a boat, on an airplane or by foot for the adventurous types. There are a bazillion spectacular places of nature around the globe for all budgets. Start exploring…. the world is you oyster.
10. Read more: most of us would love to read more often (unless of course you are 15)… Find a place under a tree (not a palm with coconuts), a grassy hillside, a lake, your lush garden, if possible take your shoes off and put your feet directly on the earth and READ. Reading is a bit of a meditation because we stop thinking about our own problems when we are reading.
11. Find your creative side: native cultures from around the world have a strong connection with nature. All species of flora and fauna have a purpose(s). Including those that can take the human brain to next level of creativity through sacred ceremony using the sacred plant and animal medicines. Tap into your creative side through nature. Start slow, try a peyote or psilocybe (magic mushroom) ceremony.
12. Take care of your mental health: we live in a world of mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression, ADHD, OCD, PTSD, BPD… I’m not a doctor but I do believe that our disconnect from nature exasperates the symptoms of mental illnesses. From personal experience, when I feel a panic attack coming on I know it’s time to find a comfortable place in nature, sit still and breathe deeply until it passes.
13. Think more clearly: Set a designated time once a week to get your ass outside with nature. When you slow your mental rhythm to match nature’s rhythm, very soon you will start to notice the tiny details of nature that cross over into your day to day. The details matter most, they are the pieces that make the whole. When you can see the picture as a whole, you will be able to think with more clarity.
14. Have better sex more often: Sex in nature super hot! It’s the perfect way to spice things up. You choose the location based on your level of voyeurism, you naughty vixen you! Spontaneous is great but beware of the elements. ⛱
So there you have the 14 most common New Year’s Resolutions, all achievable throughout the year with the simple act of spending more time outdoors with nature.
We love you all!! Happy Holidays!! The best or 2019 coming your way. ❤
Aho Mitakuye Oyasin 🙏
Sara @ Green Maya Tulum
Ecotourism that combines nature, spirit, and culture to deliver the ultimate guided outdoor experience.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND SHARING IS CARING :)
Would you be so kind and forward this blog to friends and share on all your social media sites?
P.S. IF YOU ARE NOT YET A GREEN MAYA INSIDER, YOU ARE DEFINITELY MISSING OUT! SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR MONTHLY BLOG AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE ***MEMBERS ARE PRIVY TO INSIDER-ONLY DISCOUNTS ON EXCURSIONS, UNIQUE GIFTS AND INVITATIONS TO SPECIAL EVENTS.
For those who are not into the idea of an old school, traditional wedding ceremony and are looking for a unique way to celebrate the union between you and your beloved… please read on. 💚
Even if you are not planning to seal the deal anytime soon, it’s still a good read. Please enjoy :)Read More
Experience the ultimate bird watching circuit excursion with Green Maya. Covering 3 states and 3 protected biosphere reserves in 6 days. The goal is to see 350+ species, however there are 564 species recorded as migratory, transient or endemic in the Yucatan Peninsula.Read More
The Art of Bird Watching with Green Maya Tulum. Join us for a unique bird watching experience. We believe birding is for everyone.Read More
These cave systems were as vital to the Mayan civilization, as they are to us in the present times. The connection of 8000 cenotes (sinkholes) in the Yucatan peninsula, makes the largest underground (fresh water) river system in the world. They are also home to an abundance of flora and fauna.Read More
Experience Off The Beaten Path with Green Maya TulumRead More
Jungle Trekking in Punta Laguna Nature Reserve The true definition of ecotourismRead More
Plastic changed our lives for the better in the beginning, however today the scales have tipped and plastic is changing ecology in a bad way.Read More
Eco-tours that combine nature, spirit and Maya culture for the ultimate outdoor guided. Eco-tourism, low impact, sustainable travel, wildlife conservation, Tours Tulum MexicoRead More
The "kids" are coming and they mean (ethical) business! Standing up to media, politicians, powerful executives, law enforcement, age-old systems or laws, and status quo in the names of truth, justice, and equality like its nothing. We are on Team Youth….. find out why and what we are doing about it.Read More
It's so scary out there! Why bandits, cartels, corrupt police officers, robbers, and Mexican pirates should be the least of your worries......Read More
How many planet Earths does it take to sustain your lifestyle? Find the answer at: FOOTPRINT CALCULATOR
When we have all the data, it's easy to make smarter decisions.
Leave your final score in the comments section below, let's get dirty and talk about our footprints. :)
Collecting data is step one, stay tuned for future posts that will include easy ways to reduce your ecological footprint @ El Buzz Verde.
If you know of someone who would like to (or should) calculate their ecological footprint please share this post! We are also totally cool if you want to share the calculator with your friends on your social sites. Knowledge is power and sharing is caring.
Love & Many Blessings, Sara @ Green Maya